Travel Plans

So since Monday when I found out I could do any number of things for the next six months, I've been starting to think about things to do. I think travel is a good plan, and others certainly agree with me. The question is where and how?

My brother is going on a trip to L.A. next month, and so is a good friend of mine (with her brother and another friend I don't really know). I was thinking of tagging along with my brother and meeting up with my friend there. The only trouble is, both have planned these holidays long in advance, and I feel awkward jumping in on their plans. What a fantastic time to go to the USA for the first time though!

It turns out that brother dearest doesn't really feel comfortable with me tagging along, because it would be an extra burden to think about. I tried to convince him that all he needs to do is tell me his itinerary and where he is staying etc, and we could just hang out when he has time. No need to babysit me, just maybe introduce me to some friends and we can all do our thing side by side. I didn't get the best reaction from those suggestions and felt a bit dejected. I haven't approached said friend about the idea either because what if she isn't comfortable with me tagging along and is too nice to say so? I'm not sure yet how to approach it. I'm also not sure whether this is the right path to go down, maybe the states can wait.

The trouble for me with travelling is finding people to go with. Wiesel is busy with uni until November, and is so damned well travelled that he just isn't excited by it any more. He's leaving the UK today after spending two weeks in Sicily. Jealous! Other friends of course would be great to travel with, but not at short notice. I'm pretty free now to leave any time, give me a week or two to plan but then I can be off! I don't really want to wait until our summer, because I want to go somewhere warm and a lot of the world will be cold then.

The other big option I'm considering is doing a volunteering trip somewhere, that way I could travel alone, but be part of an organised group. That also removes the annoyance of holidays where you just walk around looking at stuff, and dont' really get an experience of the place and its culture and people. I can't tell you how nonplussed I am looking at churches and buildings all day long. It's very nice to look at them, but I'd much prefer meeting the locals and admiring the buildings etc in between the experiences.

So, I'm trying to pick the brains of all the people I can think of who would know about these organised volunteering trips. I so far have a little info, from quizzing a friend who did 'nam, and picked up a G.A.P. Adventures brochure from the travel agents, but their volunteering only goes as far as 2-8 days volunteering as part of a holiday. I'm thinking more like 1-2 months, where you can really absorb the culture and get to know the people you are volunteering with, and the locals.

My only requirements are somewhere warm, not too politically scary (no China or extreme muslim areas), and somewhere I haven't seen much of.

If you have any companies you've heard good things about, or have had any experience with please do share! I'm putting feelers out far and wide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment