Through the Looking Glass

I found this article from the New York Times through the decor8 blog, and really identified with it:

My Retail Job Keeps Me Sane (NYTimes)

Not that I have ever worked in Retail, or been an accomplished journalist or similar, but the concept of different expectations and perceptions in different positions is familiar. I have often been in a situation where I feel I'm leading a double life, and I'm so aware that one person has so many aspects that the people around you can rarely understand the depth of it.

Caitlin Kelly explains so well the different perceptions people can have of you that are governed by the situation you are currently in. While it is difficult to be treated poorly, I think in those situations it is comforting to know your own achievements outside of the current situation that these customers will never be aware of. It's a quiet achievement that isn't relevant here, and certainly isn't apparent, but it contributes a great deal to who you are.

In my case most of this feeling of through the looking glass is a past-present thing, and it shows up when keeping in contact with past. Old friends and activities that I occasionally come across or join in with, and in those settings I can't hope to explain what my present is like, because I remember how I saw people that weren't part of my world back then.

I also enjoy seeing both sides to a story. For example the way you fade into the background and carry out every order when you are serving drinks to a guest at a high class banquet hosted by a royal or high profile celebrity. Then compare this to when you are eating at a restaurant yourself (not nearly as fancy mind you) where the waiters lay out your napkin and crack pepper onto your dinner for you. It's nice to know that that waiter is a whole person with their own life outside of cracking pepper for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment