Tech support

This week I am filling in for a tech support person from my old workplace. The job is for two weeks, and involves installing computers, headsets, phones etc and solving peoples printer and general tech problems. There is also a service desk who take all the calls and deal with all things that can be done remotely, I am essentially the legs of the operation and do whatever needs doing in person.

I'm surprised at how easily I have slotted into the job, not having strictly done it before. I haven't found anything that I couldn't do past asking a simple question here or there and quite frankly it's a very boring job! I'm very glad this is two weeks, and that I have since learned about other jobs I can do so that I don't fall into a tech support career. It's fun hanging out with the nerds though :-)

The other thing I've found so far is how many people want to know where i've been, what I'm doing here now, and what my plans are now that uni is finished. It's the same questions every time: "Alex! I haven't seen you in a while, what have you been up to?" "Are you happy uni is finished?" "How long are you around for?" "What are your plans next?". I'm just thankful that I can tell them definitively that I have a job starting in January as a Business Analyst. A nice easy answer, instead of telling them i'm looking for work and feeling awkward about it.

I also realised that there are a number of people here that I don't like running into because they're nosey with no good intentions, and talking to them feels forced and awkward. On the other hand there are many who I am genuinely happy to see and catch up with. I'm glad to be here for a short time, and to know what's happening later. It's a nice clean progression.

0 comments:

Post a Comment